With this very French name, the Croque Monsieur sandwich has become a classic among sandwich recipes . I assure you that this Croque Monsieur will conquer the palate of the whole family.
The Croque Monsieur is a sandwich made with sliced bread, cooked ham and cheese, usually Emmental or Gruyere, au gratin with bechamel baked, grilled or in a pan.
Without a doubt, it is a perfect option for a quick and easy dinner . And if you want the female version of this sandwich, the Croque Madame, you just have to put a fried egg on top, we will explain it to you below, but now we go with the Croque Monsieur recipe .
Recipe of Croque Monsieur
- 4 slices of sliced bread
- 4 slices york ham
- 150 g Emmental cheese
- 1 egg
For the bechamel sauce:
- 80 g harina
- 500g whole milk
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How to make a Croque Monsieur sandwich with bechamel
We make the bechamel sauce for the sandwich
- First we are going to prepare the bechamel sauce . To do this, sift the flour and reserve. In a saucepan, heat the milk.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a frying pan, when it begins to be hot, add the flour and fry for a couple of minutes, without browning excessively, just a light touch. Mix well with a spoon to form a small ball.
- Gradually add the milk and mix with a whisk to avoid lumps. Add a little salt and pepper. If we see that there is any lump, we can pass the blender.
- Cook for 8 minutes without stopping stirring with the rods, after which time the bechamel is ready.
Montamos el Croque Monsieur
- Beat the egg and dip the slices of bread in it.
- We place a slice on a plate, fill the surface with bechamel, grated cheese and 2 slices of ham.
- Spread the other slice of bread on the inside with bechamel and place it on top of the ham. It is very important that the bechamel touches the ham.
- We spread on the top of the sandwich a new layer of bechamel and grated cheese.
- Bake at 200ºC for 10 minutes, heat up and down.
- Then we only leave heat on top for 2 minutes to brown the cheese a little.
- After the time, remove the sandwich from the oven and serve hot.
¿CROQUE MONSIEUR O CROQUE MADAME?
The origin of the Croque Monsieur is in France, it appeared for the first time in a letter from a Parisian cafe in 1910, and Marcel Proust mentions it in one of his works, although its creator and the origin of its name are not very clear. Let’s say that croque could be translated as bite and monsieur (sir) would be the filler with which the waiters accompanied the dish at that time.
Be that as it may, as a result of the croque monsieur some versions arose, the most famous of which is the Croque Madame , which is practically the same sandwich but with a fried egg on top. This name seems to allude to the fact that it was reminiscent of the ladies’ headdress from the beginning of the 20th century.
In some countries the Croque Monsieur is nothing more than what we call Mixed Sandwich or Bikini , but it seems to me personally that, although much more caloric, the grace of this sandwich is in the bechamel that covers it. In some places the bread is dipped in egg before putting it in the oven and in others it is left as is.
You might be interested in the followings:-
- How to make perfect homemade croquettes – Recipes for Kids
- Fish Cake With mashed potatoes for kids at Pet Pooja.